3 issues with Belleville public transit.
Trenton & Belleville Ontario are growing and are set to grow more with tourism. However one of the biggest issues I have brought up to the Bay of Quinte in the expansion is the lacking infrastructure for public transit. We have a lacking transit system that does not work, but we are still way too ready to tell people to rely on their livelihoods with a hit or miss bus. It is ridiculous.
Here are three clear problems with the Belleville Transit system.
- One way transit system– I get home from school faster than I get to school. Why is this? It is because my home comes after the college on the bus route. Meaning instead of the bus taking me the simple 5 K from my nearest stop to college. I am doing the entire trip back to the terminal before I can even get to the college.
- 1 hour until your next bus – If I miss a bus at 10 minutes after 7. I have to wait until 8:10pm just to be able to get home 5k in the cold
- It is legitimately faster to walk at times- For example if I just missed 12:10pm bus and I needed to get home in an hour. It would be faster for me to walk home then it would be to wait for the next bus to arrive.
Other issues with Belleville Public Transit
- No full functioning nightlife service– If we want to reduce impaired driving it is vital we have an ongoing service for popular pub nights. Neglecting that we need not think we have enough alternatives to prevent drunk driving.
- Lousy weekend service – Saturday & Sunday really should have full day bus service. They do not… I think we should fix that because if Belleville is going to handle tourism. They are going to need adequate bus systems.
- Over filled bus – We need to add more buses on routes like the #7. Just because right now people are close to sitting on the roof of the bus at this point. How do we fix this? Add another bus during peek use times. This is large part of why I avoid the bus at 8:00am , 12:00pm and 6:00pm because they are crowded bus times.
- Accessibility issues – The fact is the bus creates accessibility to work, education and broad transportation is violated. In the fact we don’t have a more functional bus service. Why don’t we expect disabled people to get anywhere past 8:00pm on a Sunday?